Friday, January 17, 2014

Guess the Animals as the Snow Melts

Use card stock and clip art to create a simple scene (or draw it if you wish). Put the animals in size order with the smallest on top and the largest on the bottom. I used a mouse, squirrel, raccoon, fox and bear. Cover the scene with white card stock or heavy white paper to represent the snow. As it "melts," slide the white piece down to reveal the top of the animal and have the children guess. Slowly reveal more of the animal to help them guess. Continue sliding the piece down to reveal each animal.


I painted the background using poster paints. Markers streak too much when covering a large surface, I did use markers to color the animals. In order to make the background long enough to fit the animals I taped a smaller piece of card stock to the bottom. That is the "grass." I also trimmed the sides so that the "snow" could fit around it. The piece is about 17 inches long and 7.5 inches wide.



The photo above shows the "snow" that fits over the animal scene. Yes, I did add some glitter glue to make it sparkle. This piece is made up of two pieces of card stock glued together. The sides are folded over. The photo below shows the pieces together from the back.



The animals as they are revealed when the snow melts:








This week's Flannel Friday Round-Up is hosted by Kathryn of Fun with Friends at Storytime. For complete information go to the Flannel Friday blog.

2 comments:

  1. Genius!! Love this idea. Thanks for sharing it and the how-to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am working on guessing activities for a future storytime. Also, I felt that I needed something new to do for winter storytimes.

      Delete