Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Toddler Time: Winter

Today I was a substitute librarian for Toddler Time (ages 2 - 3.5 with parent/caregiver).  This week's storytime theme is "Winter."

Books:   Hamilton Duck by Arthur Getz
             From My Window by Olive Wong
             Snowy, Blowy Winter by Bob Raczka
             Snowballs by Lois Ehlert

Finger Puppets:  "Snowmen" from Mitt Magic by Lynda Roberts

Paper Cutting (paper plate):  "Mr. Snowman's Ride" from Cut and Tell Scissor Stories for Winter by Jean Warren

Board:   "Five Little Snowman Riding on a Sled" (instead of "Five Little Monkeys") - the figures were laminated clip art
             "Hey, Mr. Snowman" from Preschool Favorites by Diane Briggs
             "Five Little Snowflakes" from DLTK's Sites

Craft:  The children decorated "mittens" made of construction paper using crayons and stickers, as well as by gluing on colorful scraps of paper.  Yarn was taped to the backs to keep them together.

Notes:  I don't get to do Toddler Time often so I enjoy it when I do.  I like to use finger puppets with this age group which always go over well.  I have some patterns from Mitt Magic that I have been using for over twenty years.  Another old favorite is "Mr. Snowman's Ride."  I found the others from various Flannel Friday posts.  When I did "Hey, Mr. Snowman" I put the pieces on the wrong places (e.g. I put the arms on top of his head) and had the children help me get it right.  I needed a lot of help and it was enthusiastically given!  Although the craft was simple, the children really enjoyed it.  For two-year-olds there must be something magical about glue sticks.  Much thought went into the decorating of those mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment