Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Crafts for Storytime Programs

I'm always looking for simple crafts for storytimes.  Over the years I have found that paper bag puppets, paper plate crafts and toilet paper roll crafts are popular and fairly easy to prepare even for large groups. (The trick is to pick patterns that don't have too many pieces.)  Fortunately I learned quickly that toilet paper rolls are not needed.  Just cut a rectangle the same size (some patterns include the rectangle), roll it and tape it together.

I usually search the web for craft ideas by theme.  I have found several interesting crafts over the years.  I try to keep a copy of each craft because web sites come and go.  Simple is the key when looking for crafts for large groups (my summer family storytime program can get quite large) and for preschoolers (to avoid frustration, not just for the kids, but for the adults with them as well).  I save the more complicated crafts for older children.

One of my favorite sources is DLTK's Printable Crafts for Kids which I have been using for years.  I have selected a t-rex to make.  The pattern can be found here.  I like that there is an option for either color or black and white.  For a group I would use the black and white template and copy it on green copy paper or green construction paper.  Before photocopying, I would outline each piece in black marker on the template to make the pieces easier to cut out.  You can see from the photo how I filled in the mouth (there is no way I'm cutting those teeny, tiny teeth!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment